According to Interpol, Kenya has adopted a DNA database legislation and is planning a DNA database. In 2018, Kenya adopted legislation allowing the government to collect DNA from every citizen as part of its national identity scheme. This plan has not yet been implemented.
- External links
- The Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendments) Act, 2018 Amends the Registration of Persons Act to include DNA (p.321).
- The Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendment) Bill, 2018 Amendments to the Registration of Persons Act to include DNA begin on p.11 of the pdf.
- CIPIT Blog: ‘Big Brother is Watching’: The Implications of the Proposed collection of DNA Data in the Registration of Persons (3rd August 2018)
- The International Criminal Investigative Training Assistance Program (ICITAP) Lists assistance from the US to Kenya to set up a state-of-the-art forensics laboratory.
- Press articles
- Mozilla Blog: Kenya Government mandates DNA-linked national ID, without data protection law (8th February 2019)
- Mwakilishi: French IT Firm Accused of Meddling with Kenya's 2017 Presidential Elections Wins New Sh6 Billion Gov't Tender (2nd March 2019)
- Kenyans: NIIMS: Everything You Need to Know About It (1st February 2019)
- Daily Nation: Will the state collecting citizen DNA data not be a step too far in the war against terror? (29th January 2019)
- Kenyans: 8 Biggest Fears Over Government DNA Collection (29th January 2019)
- Stannard Digital: Rights groups and lawyers warn on State push for DNA (29th January)
- Standard Digital: New State registry raises fears over data protection (27th January 2019)
- The Nation: Ex-MP lauds move to use DNA samples in persons’ registration (27th January 2019)
- Business Daily: Uhuru backs law change to start listing of Kenyans’ DNA (20th January 2019)
- The Star: DCI starts probe into Naivasha tanker blast, takes DNA samples (14th December 2016)
- Standard Digital: Establish forensic lab and DNA database to contain rape, Kiambu MCAs direct executive (16th July 2014)
- AllAfrica.com: Kenya: Interpol to Assist in Westgate Raid Probe (27th September 2013)
- UC Davis magazine: Alumna launches East Africa's first private DNA testing lab and leads effort to create a crime-fighting database in Kenya