According to Interpol, a DNA database is planned in Italy. Italy passed DNA database legislation for convicted offenders in June 2009. Suspects can be profiled when requested by a judge. Innocent people's DNA profiles are supposed to be deleted from the database and their samples destroyed.
Law No. 89 of June 30, 2009
It is unclear to what extent Italy has implemented its legislation. The European Network of Forensic Science Institutes' 2013 report records no DNA profiles stored on the database.
The use of DNA evidence in court has come under intense media scrutiny in the trials of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito for the murder of the British student Meredith Kercher in Perugia in 2007.
- External links
- CAMERA DEI DEPUTATI:Doc.CLXI-bis N.1 RELAZIONE SULL’ATTIVITÀ DELLA BANCA DATI NAZIONALE DEL DNA E DEL LABORATORIO CENTRALE PER LA MEDESIMA BANCA DATI (Anni 2012-2014)
- Doc. CLXI - Relazione del Ministro della giustizia sull'attività del laboratorio centrale per la banca dati nazionale del DNA (già Doc. CCXXXV nella XVI legislatura)
- Europol: Italy
- [Vecchiotti & Zoppis (2013) DNA and the law in Italy: the experience of “the Perugia case”]
- Tozzo & Caenazzo (2013) Minors Inclusion in the Italian Forensic DNA Database: Which Safeguard between Justice and Individual Rights?
- Biondo & Stephano (2011): Establishment of Italian national DNA database and the central laboratory: Some aspects
- CELAB: THE LEGAL REGULATION OF BIOBANKS National Report: Italy (September 2009)
- EDRI: Italian DNA database: The devil is in the details (26th August 2009)
- Italy: Institution of the National DNA Database and Central Laboratory for the National DNA Database (13th July 2009)
- Osservatorio sulle fonti: Legge 30 giugno 2009, n. 85 (In Italian)
- Legge 30 giugno 2009, n. 85 (In Italian)
- Ministero della Giustizia: DDL - Adesione della Repubblica italiana al Trattato di Prum concluso il 27 maggio 2005. Istituzione della banca dati nazionale del DNA - Testo
- Wikipedia: Murder of Meredith Kercher
- Press articles
- Shanghai Daily: Italy creates national DNA database to enhance anti-terror fight (26th March 2016)
- Europe Online Magazine: Italy sets up DNA database, says it's key for national security (25th March 2016)
- ANSA: Italy to get DNA database (24th March 2016)
- New York Times: In Search for Killer, DNA Sweep Exposes Intimate Family Secrets in Italy (26th July 2014)
- BBC: Kercher trial: How does DNA contamination occur? (30th January 2014)
- 160 [Gazz. Uff.] July 13, 2009, Supp. No. 180.