According to Interpol's 2008 survey, Thailand plans to establish a DNA database.
In 2012, a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between Thailand Ministry of Justice and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to build a DNA database in Thailand. Thailand aims to collect and store DNA samples of all migrant workers and inmates, but cannot yet afford to analyse the samples.
Lobbyists Gordon Thomas Honeywell, who work with the FBI and US DNA testing firm Life Technologies, provided the draft legislation.
However, this draft law has not been implemented, and in 2017 a more targeted approach was proposed, involving taking DNA from prisoners.
- External links
- bact: Forensic Service Act 2016 and the protection of personal data (4th September 2016)
- Forensic Bill (13 May 2559 BE (2016))
- Royal Thai Government Gazette (legislation)
- Central Institute of Forensic Science Thailand
- Royal Thai Embassy Washington DC: America's FBI will help Thailand build a DNA database (3rd December 2012)
- President of lobbyists Gordon Thomas Honeywell, Tim Schellberg and John Schachnovsky of the the FBI meet with Thailand Minister of Justice (Permanent Secretary), Dr. Kittipong Kittayarak to sign CODIS agreement
- DNA Identification Act of 2010 - Draft
Also available in Thai
- Press articles
- Bangkok Post: Biometric hub to help bust crime (15th April 2022)
- Khaosod: Coronavirus Returnees Ordered to Give Up DNA Samples (1st June 2020)
- The Nation: Online records to follow ex-inmates throughout life (17th November 2017)
- INN News: มติสนช.ผ่านร่างพ.ร.บ.ให้บริการด้านนิติวิทยาศาสตร์ (10th June 2016)
- Bankokpost: Regime targets 35 laws for 'efficiency' amendments (18th May 2016)
- Thai Visa News: NSC working on mega database on all Thai citizens (4th October 2015)
- Voice of America: Thailand Using DNA Tests to Combat Insurgents (6th May 2015)
- Pattaya Mail: Justice Ministry creating inmate DNA database (13th November 2014)
- Daily Mail: Thai PM vows to conduct second DNA test on Burmese 'scapegoats' accused of killing British backpackers in bid to quell criticism of bungled police probe (29th October 2014)
- BBC: Thai police expand DNA tests to find tourists' killers (22nd September 2014)
- The Nation: Minister backs DNA database (29th October 2013)
- The Nation: Proposal to DNA-test migrant workers panned (28th October 2013)
- Bangkok Post: DNA testing has its limits (1st October 2012)
- Bangkok Post: Thailand to build DNA database (26th November 2012)
- SubZeroSiam.com: Thailand now building DNA database (26th November 2011)