The Criminal Investigations (Bodily Samples) Amendment Act expanding New Zealand's database was passed in October 2009. Previously samples could be taken only from people charged with crimes carrying sentences of seven years or more, or by order from a judge. The new law allows the police to take samples from anyone they intend to charge.
In 2013, New Zealand signed a "Pruem-like" sharing agreement (named after the EU's Pruem data-sharing agreement) with the US, to allow each country legal access to the other's fingerprint database under specified conditions, for automated searching. The agreement will also allow each country legal access to the other's DNA database, at a future stage.
The 2008 Interpol survey reports that 20,170 crime scene DNA profiles and 85,300 individuals' profiles were held in New Zealand at the time of the survey.
- External links
- Press articles
- Otago Daily Times: Cost barrier to establishing DNA database (26th January 2014)
- Stuff.co.nz: US can access NZ fingerprint info (18th September 2013)
- New Zealand Herald: Fingerprint data shared with US (18th September 2013)
- Stuff.co.nz: Privacy fear for DNA dragnet (20th January 2013)
- NewsTalkZB: Concern over police DNA database (16th September 2011)
- New Zealand Herald: Global DNA search a step closer, says expert (17th February 2010)
- New Zealand Herald: DNA advance and $8 theft capture killer (17th December 2009)
- Radio New Zealand: Diversion for disclosure of DNA information (28th August 2009)
- DataBreaches.Net: NZ: Privacy Commissioner calls for DNA database oversight (7th June 2009)
- New Zealand Herald: ESR worker in court over DNA database leak (5th June 2009)
- New Zealand Herald: Suspected data leak: ESR calls in police (4th June 2009)
- New Zealand Herald: Recession hits planned expansion of DNA tests (22nd May 2009)
- guide2.co.nz: Jump in number of 'hits' expected from 'dna on arrest' law - ESR (8th April 2009)
- New Zealand Herald: Expansion of DNA database delayed (9th February 2009)
Criminal Investigations (Bodily Samples) Act of 1995
Criminal Investigations (Bodily Samples) Amendment Act of 2003
Criminal Investigations (Bodily Samples) Amendment Act 2009
- Put. Act. 1995 No. 55 (Oct. 24, 1995).
- Pub. Act. 2003 No. 11 (Oct. 30, 2003).
- Pub. Act. 2009 No. 46 (Nova. 2, 2009).