Mauritius passed DNA database legislation in June 2009. It includes convicted offenders and suspects. Suspects' DNA profiles can be held for ten years. According to Interpol, 2482 DNA profiles are held in Mauritius including 1200 reference DNA profiles from individuals and 950 crime scene DNA profiles.
- External links
- Press articles
- Lexpress: L'expert qui ne demande qu'a aider le pays (15th August 2013)
- Le Defi: Criminal sentencing must be reviewed (15th October 2010)
Interview with Dr Satish Boolell, head of police medico-legal services. Includes comments on plans for a DNA database.
- Lexpress: DNA Bill: Des deputes s'interrogent sur l'independance du FSL (8th July 2009)
- Lexpress: Projet de loi sur l'ADN: Paul Berenger demande un Select Committee (1st July 2009)
- Defi Media: DNA database sparks fears (19th June 2009)
- Lexpress: Navin Ramgoolam: "La reforme electorale pas une priorite dans le contexte actuel" (7th April 2009)The Prime Minister announced on April 7th that there will soon be a bill on DNA testing in Mauritius.
- APA: Mauritius parliament expected to pass DNA identification law (6th April 2009)